Investor Residency Requirements
This category is for high-level investment, it’s not enough to purchase a residential lot or home worth $50,000. You should also have a business plan and a feasibility study. The company has to be a registered Honduran company, plus you must make a deposit of $5,000 in the Central Bank. Sometimes a property will be accepted in lieu of the deposit to guarantee the project. (Please see our real estate property listings in Honduras.)
Applicants must provide the following documents:
1. An original police report issued by a law-enforcement agency in the country of origin. Notarized and apostilled by the state issuing then authenticated by a Honduran Consulate.
2. An original certification from the institution that issues the monthly income, Notarized and apostilled by the state issuing then authenticated by a Honduran Consulate.
3. If any family members will be applying as dependents, provide a birth certificate or marriage certificate to prove the relationship. Notarized and apostilled by the state issuing then authenticated by a Honduran Consulate in the country of origin.
4. Medical report issued by a physician in your country of origin, and then have it Notarized and apostilled by the state it is issued in, then authenticated by a Honduran Consulate. This medical report must state you are HIV negative.
Here in Honduras, the following information must be provided about the business or investment:
1. Project description and amount of investment, which must be at least US $50,000.00.
2. Proof of having transferred a minimum of $25,000.00 into Honduras at the time of application.
3. Present a timeline for the investment.
4. Within sixty days of a favorable resolution authorizing the Residency, present an Investment Plan.
5. Register with Secretary of Industry and Commerce.
It is also necessary to make a cash deposit of $5,000.00 in the Central Bank of Honduras, to guarantee the investment. This will be returned within a year after Residency is granted.
The following additional documents are required here in Honduras, but your legal representative will likely help you to gather them.
1. Application form
2. Passport sized photos
3. Power of attorney
4. Certification of Migratory Movement (entries and exits) 5. Certification of criminal record in Honduras
6. Medical report (official Certificado Medico by a licensed Honduran physician) (An alternative: you can have a medical report issued by a physician in your country of origin, and then have it authenticated by the Consulate).
Applying for Residency
Residency cannot be applied for personally, but rather through a lawyer duly registered with the Honduran Bar. You must provide your lawyer with the documents listed below. Once your attorney has all the documents, these will be presented to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Ministerio de Gobernacion) for approval. This process takes the longest and can even drag out to up for a year. Once your petition is approved a legal instrument will be issued attesting the fact. Don’t lose or misplace this important document, as you’ll need it on a yearly basis to renew your residency. The next step is obtaining a residency card from Honduran Immigration, which can take another six months.
Costs of Applications
Legal fees for residency status range from $800 to $2,500, depending on the lawyer you choose. Application fees cost run from $150 to $350 (depending on the category), you also have to sign two sworn affidavits attesting you are not a criminal and will uphold Honduran law at cost of $150 each.
Document requirements can change occasionally, so you should always consult with a lawyer to determine current requirements and which residency status most suits your needs.
Excerpted and adapted from the ebook “Roatan Relocation & Investment Guide: Including Utila, Guanaja & La Ceiba” by Maria Fiallos.
If you would like assistance in obtaining your Investor Residency in Honduras please contact our real estate agent in Honduras who can assist you with every step of the investor process.
Like Our Articles?
Check out our eBook bundle. Six titles packed full of premium offshore intel. Instant Download - Print off for your private library before the government demands we take these down!