Marrying in Thailand
Due to the beauty of the country many foreigners come to Thailand to get married, either with somebody from their own country or with a Thai national. Here are the steps you have to take to make your dream wedding happen in Thailand:
- Obtain an Affirmation of Freedom to Marry from the respective embassy or consulate in Bangkok.
- Translate the Affirmation of Freedom to Marry to the Thai language.
- Legalize Affirmation of Freedom to Marry at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- Register the marriage at the local district office (Amphur).
- The marriage certificates written in Thai will be issued.
- Translate the marriage certificates to English.
- Certify the translation at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- Report the marriage to the foreigner’s home state, or country’s embassy or consulate in Thailand.
The minimum age to get married in Thailand is 17 years, even though a written permit is needed from the parents if the person getting married is under the age of 20. For foreigners the laws of their respective countries has to be obeyed.
Marriage in Thailand is legal and is recognized worldwide. Thailand doesn’t recognize same-sex marriages.