facebook Residency Options in Argentina - Escape Artist

Residency Options in Argentina

If you’ve ever visited Argentina, you understand why it’s such a popular place to relocate. It has a strong and highly literate booming economic class and all of the rich biodiversity you’d want in your South American destination. You can have access to mountains, arctic regions, temperate zones, and historic sites all around you. So, what does it take to become a resident? Let’s go over the Residency Options in Argentina.


Tourist Visa

Those visiting from the United States, along with about 80 different countries, only need a valid passport to enter Argentina. You simply need a blank space for a stamp on your passport in order to stay for up to 90 days. From that point, you’ll have to leave the country and come back to renew your 90-day stay. This is an option for some, who choose to border hop in order to renew the tourist visa, but it isn’t always the most practical option for residency.

If you are travelling abroad from a country that is not included in the 80-country list, you’ll have to apply for a tourist visa to visit Argentina. These usually cover a 30-90 day span, and the proper paperwork along with an interview will be required.


Visa of Temporary Residence

If you wish to stay abroad in Argentina for more than 30 days at a time, you will need to apply for a visa of temporary residence. Work visas fall under this category with two different types: the 23 A, for those who have a salaried position for which they are relocating, and the 23 E, for those staying for only a short time, such as scientists who’ve come to study. For either of these visa types, you’ll first need to obtain an entry permit, which will most likely be handled by your employer, so you shouldn’t have to worry too much about that. Just know that it will require a valid passport, three passport-style photos, your signed employment contract and credentials, and your birth certificate.


Student Visa

The student visa is only available to those studying in schools approved by the Argentine government. It lasts for the length of time that the student is enrolled in classes and cannot be renewed.


Work Visa

There is a professional visa (Category 23 E) for short business trips that allows a stay for up to 30 days for those who wish to do business abroad in the country. This also applies to those who must go to Argentina to attend conferences, congresses, etc.

There is also a visa option called the Contracted Personnel Visa that is for individuals who wish to live in Argentina and work for an Argentinian company that is registered with the immigration ministry and authorized to employ foreign workers. You can apply for this visa either before or after your arrival in the country – just make sure to check and see whether you’ll need to supply copies of your credentials and past work experience/qualifications. This visa is usually good for one full year, and the renewal process is straightforward.

Your family members can also apply for a visa as dependents when you are applying for a work visa. They’ll need the same paperwork you’ll be required to submit, except for the ones dealing with employment.


Financier Visa

A financier visa applies to those who wish to live in Argentina and can prove having a minimum income of about $2,000 (USD) per month. This can be from annuities, dividends, investments, a business, or even a settlement. Simply provide documentation to prove this income and its source, and make sure it goes into an Argentinian bank account and you can apply for this visa.


Pensioner Visa

This visa also requires a minimum monthly income of $2,000. You’ll need to supply a certificate issued by an international government or organization that proves that you receive a pension or retirement on a consistent basis. Your pension funds must be banked and come from your country of origin. You’ll need three pay stubs to further prove this income amount.


Permanent Residency/Path to Citizenship

In order to apply for permanent residency, the applicant must have been a temporary resident in Argentina for at least two years. You must also have documentation to prove this, which is certified by the National Immigration Office. The required documents for this process include: a birth certificate, photocopy of identification (passport), proof of residency in the country of origin, proof of financial security, children’s birth certificates (if applicable).

These documents are necessary no matter your reason for applying for permanent residency abroad in Argentina. Other documents may be required depending on your individual circumstances. After two years of permanent residency, you can apply for citizenship. Applicants from the United States may also apply for dual citizenship.

Experience the Insider community that takes your international lifestyle to the next level. Download your FREE guide

"18 Steps to Implementing Your Plan B" instantly!

I hope you enjoyed my article on Residency Options in Argentina.

For more information about relocating to Argentina, download our free guide here.

To start the process of a new residency in Argentina, you can contact our office HERE

EA Store

Like Our Articles?

Then make sure to check out our Bookstore... we have titles packed full of premium offshore intel. Instant Download - Print off for your private library before the government demands we take these down!