Conventions, Trade Shows and Conferences
Conventions, trade shows and conferences are excellent ways to combine work and travel within Colombia. This country offers a number of world class facilities able to host these types of events from coast to coast.
In Cartagena there is the Cartagena de Indias Convention Center located just outside the walls of the old city. This facility can manage up to 2,000 people simultaneously. In Medellin we find the Plaza Mayor that can host up to 3,000 people in its Grand Salon . One of the most important Fashion Shows in Latin America, Colombiamoda, is held here every year. The Corferias Fairground is one of the largest facilities in Colombia. They are located in Bogota and have 17 pavilions with an exhibition area of 44,430 m2 with an additional 15,000 m2 of outdoor exhibition. The Valle del Pacifico Events Center in Calle is one of the newest in Colombia and has two large salons for 5,000 and 3,000, plus a large outdoor areas for exhibits.
Here is a look at some of the yearly trade shows and conferences that occur in Colombia.
1. Bogotá Book Fair (April 18 to May 1, 2013) – Since 1988 the Bogotá book fair has united a select group of professionals such as: editors, distributors, representatives of the graphics industry and authors, while providing business opportunities for national and international buyers that come from especially the Andean area, Mercosur, Central America, Carribean and the United States. The International Book Fair of Bogotá is organized by the International Center of Business and Expositions of Bogotá – Corferias in alliance with the Colombian Chamber of Books. It also counts on the support from other entities such as, the Ministry of Foreign Relations, Culture and Education of Colombia, the Mayor of Bogotá through the secretaries of Culture, Recreation, Sports and Education and 22 more institutions.
2. Cartagena Fashion 2013 (May 27 – May 29, 2013) is a launching platform for the new talents of fashion designers in Cartagena and the Caribbean region. Each year this Fashion show converts into one of the most viewed showcases in the entire country for being the only event in the city where the new fashion designers are supported on a national level. Two huge and national renowned designers will be invited along with others from Ecuador, USA and Venezuela and 30 national models.
3. The Job Fair (April 5 & 6, 2013) is meant to aid in the stimulation of the labor force in Colombia. This fair intends to offer the tools to develop abilities within the active labor population, helping workers with their insertion into the labor market. With the Job Fair´s first edition , organized by the Plaza Mayor of Medellin and the newspaper publication El Tiempo, 7,600 people visited the more than 30 organizations and 5,300 attended academic activities. This is where all the important human resource managers of businesses come together to show the opening positions within their companies and search for the new employees. Who participates ? Government agencies that encourage the generation of opportunities in favor of labor development and promotion in Medellin. Compensation funds with their portfolio of services. Businesses interested in contacting a wide range of qualified candidates. Educational organizations that are looking to improve the professional levels of the visitors through their academic offers. Human resource companies with their service portfolios for the areas of human resources of other businesses. Entities that support and assess the entrepreneur culture.
4. Campus Party Colombia (October 9 – 14, 2013) is known as the biggest event of technology, creativity, and digital network in the world. For 7 days, thousands of participants and their computers from different parts of the globe come together to share doubts, experiences and carry out any activity related to computers, communications and the newest technologies. Campus Party is the most important internet event in the entire world! In 2013, the event will be held in Medellin.
5. Fair of the Colonies (June 13 – June 23, 2013) is the cultural and commercial event that integrates all the regions of the country in one single place. In a party and regional integration like environment, this fair turns into a platform where the general public has the opportunity to “travel and experience Colombia in one day”. They can enjoy a full itinerary with access to the commercial, cultural and gastronomical aspects as well as a wide array of products, services and projects that are representative of each department in Colombia.
6. Colombia Minera (October 1 – 4, 2013) Colombia Minera is a specialized event directed towards the service, machines and consumables businesses for the exploration, exploitation and transformation of mine products such as coal, metallic minerals, non metallic minerals and precious metals and rocks.
These are just a few of the many conventions, tradeshows and conferences that are available to the foreign investor. Don’t miss out on the opportunity to experience Colombia while investigating the potential of its emerging economy.
This article has been updated and revised from its initial publication :