One quarter of France’s population of 66 million residents (16 million) are students studying within France’s school district.
Below is a brief rundown from an article that first appeared on the france.escapeartist.com site. If you need more information here is a link to the article titled Education System in France“.
Great statistic however, lets break down and see why the French are very pro-active in education.
France’s Educational System
- Unified Educational System: Three levels of education consists of primary school, secondary school and then students may go on to higher education through a University or attend a one or two year course through an Institute to learn a specialized trade.
- Education is compulsory for students between the ages of six and 16.
- Secondary school teaches students from 11 to 15 years of age and are not considered mandatory in France, but it is given the exact same importance as primary education. However, once a child turns 15 years of age, they are required to attend a general, technical or a vocational “lycee,” which are institutions that help children select a direction for a potential careers by focusing in their areas of interest.
- Mandatory (and progressive) transition policies: After completing the last year of secondary school, students may select an area of special interest for further education that can help them begin a career. In addition, the French Government has made it compulsory for students to study at least two foreign languages to be started before finishing secondary education.
- Special cases: While most students attend traditional schools under the administration of the Ministry of National Education, there are more than 600,000 students who go to ‘special needs’ schools:
– 100,000 pupils suffer from various disabilities and attend special schools under the regulation of the Ministry of Health.
– 200,000 students choose to attend vocational and technical courses, which provides them with a technical degree in two or three years.
– 300,000 pupils become apprentices to prepare them for “real life,” work scenarios and teach specialized skills
This is a article summary: The original article first appeared at the france.escapeartist site titled
Education System in France“.