Kodaikanal is one of the beautiful hill stations located in the state of Tamil Nadu, India. Kodaikanal is home to waterfalls, lakes, temples, valleys and hills, and more. People also know Kodaikanal as “Princess of Hill Stations.” This is a must-visit place for nature lovers.
Kodaikanal is good to visit anytime throughout the year. September to May, however, is considered the best time to visit because the weather is pretty great. Various options are available to stay in Kodaikanal, including hotels, resorts, and homestays. If you are planning to visit this place soon then you should book resorts in Kodaikanal as early as possible.
There are a lot of amazing places for tourists in Kodaikanal that one should not miss while visiting. Check out the special attractions and places below:
Lakes in Kodaikanal: There are two famous lakes located in or near Kodaikanal, including Kodai Lake and Berijam Lake. These scenic lakes attract a great number of tourists throughout the year.
- Kodai Lake: Kodaikanal is known for its picturesque lake which is located at a distance of 3km from the Kodai bus stand. Kodai Lake is also known as Kodaikanal Lake. This lake is surrounded by hills. Kodai Lake is a major spot for boating. You must try to this visit this lake at sunrise and sunset for a magnificent view. You can visit the Kodai Lake anytime from 6:00 am – 5:00 pm.
- Berijam Lake: Berijam Lake is located at a distance of 20km from Kodaikanal. When visiting Berijam Lake, you need to get special permission from district forest officers. While visiting this lake, you will get to spot many species of animals and birds. This place is a must-visit for nature lovers and birders. Berijam Lake is open all days of the week from 9:00 am – 3:00 pm.
Waterfalls in Kodaikanal: Kodaikanal is home to various waterfalls including Silver Cascade Falls, Bear Shola Fall, Pambar Falls, Thalaiyar Falls, and more. If spending some quality time with family or friends, these waterfalls are a perfect getaway.
- Thalaiyar Falls: People also know Thalaiyar Falls as Rat Tail Falls. It is known as Rat Tail Falls because you can easily spot the silver line of waterfall amidst greenery from a far distance. Thalaiyar is the highest waterfall in the state of Tamil Nadu. Thalaiyar Falls is open for visitors all days of the week except Sunday, from 10:00 am – 6:00 pm.
- Bear Shola Fall: Bear Shola Fall is located at a distance of 3km from the Kodaikanal bus stand. This is a seasonal waterfall which looks wonderful during the rainstorm. This tranquil waterfall lies inside a forest reserve. Bear Shola Fall is open all days of the week from 10:00 am – 6:00 pm.
- Pambar Falls: Pambar Falls is located at a distance of around 3km from the Kodaikanal bus stand. Pambar Falls is also known as Liril Falls because, in 1985, a Liril advertisement was shot here. To reach Pambar Falls, one has to trek through a steep and dangerous way that will add adventure to the Kodaikanal trip. Pambar Falls is open for tourists all days of the week from 10:00 am – 6:00 pm.
Places of worship in Kodaikanal: A lot of pilgrims or devotees visit Kodaikanal throughout the year. Various places of worship are available in or near Kodaikanal. Kurinji Andavar Temple and Christ the King Church are two famous religious places in Kodaikanal.
- Kurinji Andavar Temple: Kurinji Andavar Temple is located at the distance of 3km from the Kodaikanal bus stand. A lot of devotees visit this temple every year to offer their prayers to Lord Muruga, the God of Hills. From this temple, visitors can enjoy the magnificent view of the Palani hills and Vaigai dam. You can visit this temple anytime from 7:00 am – 7:00 pm.
- Christ the King Church: Christ the King Church is closely located to Coakers Walk. This church was beautifully built in the year 1895. If you are planning to visit Kodaikanal sometime soon, then you should add this church to your bucket list. Christ the King Church is open all days of the week from 6:30 am – 12:00 pm, and 3:00 pm – 8:30 pm.
Kodaikanal has much to offer to tourists who visit from far and wide to explore the beauty of this hill station. Don’t forget to take your camera, as Kodaikanal is a picturesque place.
For booking resorts, browse book resorts in Kodaikanal. You will get a list of resorts in or near Kodaikanal. Make sure that the resort you choose is in close proximity to the major attractions in Kodaikanal, so that you do not have to incur a great amount of time and money to reach your destination.
Have a wonderful and memorable time in Kodaikanal amidst the hills with family or friends!